|Firefox OS Smartphone Sony Sony News Sony Xperia E Xperia E|
Sony releases experimental Firefox OS ROM for the Xperia E
Sony has recently announced that it’s considering launching a Firefox OS phone next year and just recently the company released an experimental ROM to run the new Mozilla-made OS on the Sony Xperia E. This will give app developers a chance to evaluate the platform and give Sony valuable feedback.
In case you’re wondering why the company picked the Xperia E and not a more powerful phone, the answer is pretty simple – Firefox OS will target the very low end of smartphones. The Xperia E has almost the exact same specs as the ZTE Open and Alcatel OT Fire, the first two Firefox phones that were announced at the MWC 2013.
there’s no wireless connectivity of any kind as the software has not passed certification and the touchscreen and the microSD card might not work all too well.
The Sony Developer Blog has details on how to flash the ROM, the architecture of Firefox OS and how to develop apps for it.
Sony Xperia E
Though the Sony Xperia E has not released in India, the budget friendly smartphone has made its debut in the global markets some time ago. The Sony smartphone is even available in Dual SIM option and is known as Xperia E Dual.
- Operating System – Android OS v4.1 (Jelly Bean)
- Processor – 1 GHz Cortex-A5, Qualcomm MSM7227A Snapdragon
- Graphics – Adreno 200
- Screen – TFT capacitive touchscreen, 256K colors
- Screen Features – Multitouch, Scratch-resistant glass, Timescape UI
- Display - 320 x 480 pixels, 3.5 inches (~165 ppi pixel density)
- Colors – Black, Pink, White
- Primary Rear Camera – 3.15 MP, 2048×1536 pixels
- Camera Features – Geo-tagging
- Secondary Front Camera – No
- Video – Yes, FWVGA
- Memory – 512 MB RAM
- Storage - 4 GB (2 GB user available), Expansion via microSD to 32 GB
- Connectivity – 3G, Wi Fi, Bluetooth, microUSB 2.0, Wi Fi Direct, DLNA
- Battery – Standard battery, Li-Ion 1530 mAh
- Weight – 115.7 gms
- Dimensions – 113.5 x 61.8 x 11 mm