|Nokia Nokia 808 Nokia News Nokia PureView 808 PureView 808 Smartphone Symbian|
Nokia PureView 808 – officially the last Symbian smartphone
Nokia confirmed what many believed to be a long-due announcement. Symbian is officially dead. During an earnings call yesterday, and as reported by us earlier, the Finnish company confirmed that the Nokia PureView 808, released in 2012, was the last device on the Symbian platform.
“During our transition to Windows Phone through 2012, we continued to ship devices based on Symbian. The Nokia 808 PureView, a device which showcases our imaging capabilities and which came to market in mid-2012, was the last Symbian device from Nokia,” Nokia’s 2012 Interim Report (Page 36 in the PDF) said.
Nokia PureView 808 Specs
- Operating System – Nokia Belle OS
- Processor – 1.3 GHz ARM 11
- Screen - AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- Display - 360 x 640 pixels, 4.0 inches (~184 ppi pixel density)
- Colors – Black, White, Red
- Primary Rear Camera – 41 MP (38 MP effective, 7152 x 5368 pixels), Carl Zeiss optics, autofocus, Xenon flash
- Camera Features - 1/1.2” sensor size, ND filter, up to 4x lossless digital zoom, geo-tagging, face detection
- Secondary Front Camera – Yes, VGA; VGA@30fps video recording
- Video – Yes, 1080p@30fps, lossless digital zoom, LED light
- Memory – 1 GB ROM, 512 MB RAM
- Storage - 16 GB storage, Expansion upto 32 GB via SD Card
- Connectivity - 3G, 2G, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth V 3.0, NFC, USB 2.0
- Battery - Standard battery, Li-Ion 1400 mAh
- Weight - 169 Gms
- Dimensions - 123.9 x 60.2 x 13.9 mm
The announcement confirmed reports which date back to before the launch of the Nokia PureView 808, that the device would be the last Symbian phone. Earlier this month, there was talk that Nokia would finally admit the end of Symbian at the announcement as Nokia’s CFO Timo Ihamuotila noted that Q4 would be the “last meaningful quarter for Symbian.”
Nokia PureView 808 was released in India in June 2012 and was priced at Rs. 33,899 but just recently the Symbian smartphone got a price cut and is now available for Rs. 24,999 across all major online retailers.
Nokia PureView 808 is more famous for its amazing 41 megapixel camera which is based on the now famous PureView Pro imaging technology. The Symbian smartphone even today is widely hailed as the best camera based smartphone across all the devices.